Saturday, February 15, 2014

The BIG Idea


Have you ever been in the middle of doing something and have the terrifying thought of…


The idea of who left the stove on is where the idea for my Raspberry Pi has originated.  I live in a sorority house with 39 other women and as you can imagine, accountability is sometimes an issue.  We have the problem of our stove not being turned off probably averaging about once a week, but we never know who the culprit is in order to take care of the problem.  The stove sometimes runs throughout the evening and causes an immense safety issue in which my venture could solve.
Using a Raspberry Pi, heat sensor, and webcam, I would program the Raspberry Pi to somehow turn on when the temperature reached above a certain heat and then the webcam would turn on to record either via video or picture snapshots.  Obviously, the logistics of accomplishing the idea are still in the works, but if all goes well, it would be possible to figure out who leaves the stove on and correct the potential safety hazard.  Below further explains where I have obtained the passion for the idea I have chosen, as displayed in my Super Hunch Sketch Pad.


            I have been playing with the Pi this weekend to try and get the Webcam to work and stream to an alternate source such as my Mac or using an app on my iPhone, but unfortunately no success just yet!  Hopefully, this step will be up and running before the weekend comes to a close.
            Thanks for stopping by to read about my idea and feel free to leave and comments/feedback/suggestions you may have!

5 comments:

  1. This is great idea. Real world application (not that the Delta House is not real world) might be for older people who live alone. Their family members could be connected and notified of potentially dangerous situations. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea! I can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great application of the hardware combined with your observation of a real-world problem. This is a neat solution and am interested in all the other uses this might have beyond a sorority house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pictures! Made me laugh... Also very interesting idea, unique one might say ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being the old house manager of the sorority, I think this is a fantastic idea. It will help not only all of our sisters safety, but the sanity of the house mother and house manager.

    ReplyDelete